news-01

A Long Line of Richards

For many years there has been a long standing tradition of “Richards” in the Moulding family of builders.



The elder son of the eldest son has always been called Richard, and they have always been builders.



It started back in the 19th century with William Moulding, a stone mason from Wanborough, in North Wiltshire. William gained a reputation for his building skills, and raised two sons, Richard and William. As was very common in those days, both boys followed their father into the family building business as mason and carpenter.



Young William had two sons called Richard and William. William who later became known as Uncle Bill, worked as a builder and undertaker at nearby Aldbourne.



Richard moved around in the south of England in search of work, and when contracting in London, his building skills were noticed by the millionaire A P Cunliffe who asked him to build racehorse stables at Druids Lodge, near Salisbury and that is how the family business settled into South Wiltshire.



After a brief spell living at The Boot, Berwick St James, Richard moved to Ryeville, South Newton where his family grew up and the present offices are located. Richard's son, Richard Alexander (Alec) was born in 1908, the same year as the business 'R Moulding' was established at South Newton. Richard's second son, Stanley William (Ted) was born a little later.



Richard continued to build in the traditional way, focusing on quality using time honoured-methods and skills, and Moulding’s constructed what is thought to be one of the last cob houses to be built in the locality in 1913 – York House at Druids Lodge. He successfully guided the business through many difficult years including World War one and the depression and general strike of 1926.



Alec and Ted both joined the family business, which then became known as R. Moulding and Sons, and they assisted Richard to build the business and the family name through the World War two period.

In 1953 a dreadful fire broke out in the night which destroyed several vehicles and the joinery workshops. Needless to say this was another blow to overcome and most of the costs to rebuild and re-equip had to be absorbed by the business.

However, R Moulding and Sons recovered and began to flourish, and in 1964 the business was incorporated into R. Moulding & Company (Salisbury) Ltd, which is how it is known today.

Alec was a skilled stonemason and examples of his work can be seen at Wishford Church in the eastern boundary wall, where he carved three stones recording the price of bread at the time.

In 1969 Ted died and Alec's sons, Richard (Dick) and William Alexander (Bill) became young directors. Dick became an expert in new build, but the family also retained their traditional building skills and continued to refurbish and renovate local properties.

In 1988 the housing market peaked and then fell in a dramatic way and many local building companies went out of business. However, the company survived that period overcoming a few difficult years caused by the lack of work, and continued to move forward from that time.

The recent Moulding building family have survived and thrived by employing local skilled staff, providing training, ensuring a safe workplace and embracing a long tradition of building craftsmanship. It is now a well-established building company, still focusing on a quality product for a reasonable price and employing 90 skilled tradesmen and including a modern joinery department and service.

Dick's eldest son Richard Timothy (Tim) is now the project director and has developed an on-going Client list fed through the company website and relationships with top quality Architects, Quantity Surveyors and Engineers. Tim trained as a quantity surveyor and has worked with the family company since 1987. Tim runs the Company with co-directors Bill Moulding and Robert Begg.


Whilst the company does become involved in new build work, it specializes in conversion and restoration of listed buildings. It provides expertise in the traditional building methods and the materials involved and it employs the surveyors and tradesmen to cope with all the tasks.  The company is one of the few builders who still work with putty lime plaster and hydraulic lime, and it can fashion timber and stone for older buildings at its own premises.




Restoration is an important part of the current business and over the years an involvement with work on Salisbury, Winchester and Portsmouth Cathedrals, Wimborne Minster, Romsey Abbey and some of the country’s greatest ancient castles for English Heritage such as Portland, Lulworth, Sherborne, Old Wardour and Old Sarum, as well as Stonehenge.



The Moulding family have a tradition of succession, and a long line of Richards.



R Moulding & Co (Salisbury) Ltd can be found at South Newton.

Moulding's Site Login

You are about to access private information on the Moulding's web site. This information is for registered users only. If you are not a registered user, please request an account from Moulding directly.